Today I'm finishing up some wreaths for a local customer.
These have been so much fun to make... Want to make your own? Here's how!
You'll need:
1 yd natural colored burlap
1/2 yard fabric for rosettes
floral wire with built in cutter
20" grapevine wreath
From the burlap cut across the full fabric 2 of each width: 7", 51/2", 4"
You will end up with 6 pieces total
Sew together one short end of each width pair.... ie sew one end of the 7" piece to the other end of the 7" piece, etc
Lay the 7" piece on top of the grapevine wreath. Begin to pleat fabric and pin in place, mimicking the round shape of the wreath. Try to keep the pleats even, though you can just eyeball it. I made the 7" piece with farther spaced and deeper pleats. Make sure that your pin heads are all facing the inside of the wreath hole so that you can easily pull them out while you sew all the layers together (a few broken needles taught me that lesson!!!)
Once that is complete, continue with the 5 1/2" strip. Pin on top of 7" piece with closer together pleats of a more shallow depth. Upon completing, repeat with 4" strip.
Using a leather needle on your sewing machine, stitch the layers together and remove pins.
Thank you for ignoring the leaves from the grapevine wreath that got everywhere... This is not the cleanest of projects, but your vacuum cleaner and you need the workout after all the goodies you've been munching on, right?!?!? ;)
To place your rosettes, use the floral wire and floss it through the hand stitching and then fasten through the burlap around the wreath.
I will give you a later tutorial on making the rosettes! ;) Super easy and absolutely rich and scrumptious in this deep red!!!
I sooooo wish I had double doors like my customer, so that I could make a set of these for myself! Merry Christmas from Texas and I hope you enjoy making your own Burlap Hill Country Christmas Wreath!
-Wendi

No comments:
Post a Comment